Imperial College at Fellowmoor
|Imperial College At Fellowmoor|
Flag of the Imperial College
|Motto||Truth in all things|
|Established||January 1, 1849|
|Endowment||MM ᵯ14.5 billion|
|Campus||Urban, 190 acres|
The Imperial College at Fellowmoor (often referred to as The Imperial College) is a public university located in Fellowmoor, Myroria. Established in 1849 by Empeurer Divyath IV Hlaatroth, it is the only institution of learning directly administered by the Myrorian government.
The university currently comprised seven separate academic units. The Imperial College has the highest endowment of any college in Myroria, standing at ᵯ14.5 billion in 1890. The Imperial College is consistently ranked as a leading academic institution in the world by numerous media and academic rankings.
Since the late 18th century promoters of public education in Myroria were encouraging the establishment of a university paid for and administered by the Myrorian government. Various colonial ventures and newly established taxes on churches had given the Imperial government a good deal of money with which little was being done. Divyath II Hlaatroth attempted in 1799 to establish a college in Pelagis paid for by his government, but the Council of the Great Houses Under the Empeurer threatened to revoke their support his successor if he used the government's newfound money in this venture. Divyath II's grandson, Divyath IV Hlaatroth, proposed to the Council of the Great Houses in 1845 his intention to establish an Imperial College on 100 acres of unused land in Fellowmoor, where a noble's estate stood before being taken by the Crown upon his death. The Council of Great Houses approved this after some degree of prodding by House Hlaatroth, and after several years of construction, the Imperial College at Fellowmoor opened on January 1, 1849.
Despite its heavy government funding, the Imperial College was not widely respected in the first years of its establishment. President of the University of Quarrovth, Relms Quarrovth, said in 1853, "The 'Imperial College' at Fellowmoor has done more than the most conservative members of the Council of the Great Houses to undermine the idea of public education in Myroria.". The Imperial College offered few classes in the first years of its establishment, and as the Imperial government was not known for paying the faculty as well as universities of a similar caliber in other parts of Myroria, few professors came to teach at the Imperial College.
It wasn't until 1867, when the Myrorian government promised to meet the highest salary offered at any private university in the nation, that the Imperial College at Fellowmoor gained additional faculty. These new professors began to give the Imperial College a better reputation, and by 1870, only three years after the decree by the Imperial government, applications to the university increased by over sixty percent.
In 1874, the Imperial College gained an additional 90 acres of land bequeathed by a nobleman and early graduate who died without issue. The College formally began co-education in 1886 with the integration of the Men's and Women's campuses. Throughout the late 19th century, the College's student base has continued to expand tremendously along with its endowment and faculty. Nelvil III Moomintroth, the heir apparent to the Myrorian throne, became the first member of the immediate Imperial Family to graduate from the College in 1894.
Administration and organization
The Imperial College has a faculty of 1,981 professors, lecturers, and instructors, who teach a collective student body of 17,890, with 12,090 undergraduates and 5,800 graduates. The school color is orange, which was chosen in 1856 over maroon as that color was already most identified with the University of Quarrovth.
The Imperial College has a bitter rivalry with the University of Quarrovth, stemming from remarks made by Quarrovth's president in the early years of the Imperial College's founding. A student tradition holds that it is bad luck to even mention Relms Quarrovth's name at sports games, especially if the game is played against the University of Quarrovth.
The Imperial College's ultimate head is always the current ruler of Myroria; however, as this has been seen by the High Court and Council of the Great Houses to be a conflict of interest, the monarch has little say in the day-to-day affairs of the College. Instead the College's most direct governors are the board of directors, who are both elected by the staff of the college and appointed by various governmental bodies. The President of the Imperial College is the day-to-day administrator of the university, and most curricular decisions are left to the Dean of the Imperial College.
The Imperial College has seven schools, listed below in order of foundation:
- The Imperial School of Arts and Sciences, which also comprises:
- The Undergraduate School of Arts and Sciences (1849)
- The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (1849)
- The Imperial Medical School (1849)
- The Imperial School of Psychiatry (1854)
- The Imperial School of Myrorian Law (1860)
- The Imperial School of Business (1865)
- The Imperial School of Public Health (1876)
- The Imperial School of Politics and Government (1885)
In addition, the Council of the Great Houses Under the Empeurer approved the Imperial School of Engineering to be added to the campus by 1910, but construction remains ongoing.
The Imperial College at Fellowmoor has the highest endowment of any university in Myroria, and receives ᵯ14.5 billion as of their newest yearly budget. The endowment given to the Imperial College has been steadily rising since 1870, and it surpassed the University of Quarrovth in 1886 as the college in Myroria with the highest yearly budget.
The main campus of the Imperial College is on St. Olyn Street in Fellowmoor, on the banks of the Resdaynean River which runs through the town. The Imperial Schools of Psychiatry and Politics and Government are situated across the river in the Elliesburgh district of the city. The main campus comprises the administrative offices of the college, all its main libraries, academic buildings for the Imperial Schools of Arts and Sciences, Myrorian Law, Business, Public Health, and the Imperial Medical School, and the majority of the freshman dormitories. Sophomore, junior, and senior undergraduates live in residential houses scattered across both campuses on the banks of the Resdaynean River.
Each residential house contains rooms for students, common rooms, and resident tutors, as well as at least one library, dining hall, and security booth.